Saturday, June 27, 2009

Humble Origins’










“Right said Responsibilities show you ground realties”. Saturdays morning are one of the worst days when I am asked to get up early in the morning. Precisely 5.00 am. I had volunteered for a social service project. There we were in a small bus reaching out for this village in Dhanu to distribute various goodies that we brought for them. The journey itself was the most testing one indeed. Four hours of endless road that head in various directions. Searching like a small caravan in itself, we moved ahead and finally found the place.
From the bus window I saw a small school at the corner. What made this school spectacular was the kids waiting on the road to welcome us. The best part was hen they volunteered to help us carry out their goodies. Not many visit them everyday. I think they have visitors only quarterly or sometime. So here they see people from a different planet called “Mumbai”. We spent time with them and gave them goodies. They kept us entrained by singing and shaking a leg for us. It was truly a captivating sight. These kids share two small rooms one for the girls and the other for the guys. These rooms are their classroom, bedroom, and playground. All they had is just two rooms.
After we distributed the bags of goodies each one ran to their suitcase and started saving in all the stuff that they received. One such suitcase caught my attention. I just could not get my eyes of this. It was a simple bag with neatly folded clothes, a tooth brush, small valet, books etc. I asked the small boy if I could click a picture of his bag and he readily accepted. To make it more beautiful he covered it with a small and a beautiful red handkerchief. My heart almost skipped a beat in this. To make it more memorable i ahve attached his photos as well.
Most of the times in life we receive so many gifts from others but we somehow fail to realize the value of it. Here the small suitcase meant the world for this little boy and I can’t fit my clothes in a big cupboard. I am home now with all the beautiful memories and the lessons that I learnt from them. I now understand true meaning of “Humble Origin’s”

Regards,

Natasha





No comments:

Post a Comment